• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 hans_gruber

hans_gruber

the wrong shape

• Moderators
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:31 PM

every mmo ever made has had some degree of pay2win, wether monetized by the game company or by third parties. you mix persistence plus the ability to trade/gift between players and that's going to happen no matter what teh monetization scheme. tho pay2win can also happen without trading (and sometimes even in single player games in modern times magically)

pay2win can and does happen even when the game has no combat pvp at all. as if "pvp" is the only ways in which players compete and battle each other as it is in hte mmo genre or otherwise. we win every time we kill a mob or  aboss or level up or hit a new rank of rep or get that sweet drop or vendor token item we've been working towards.

so pay2win is not a if it is or isn't proposition, rather it's a scale.

wherein say at one end of the spectrum is wow before the tradeable cash shop items and first party gold sales. and we'll say maybe at another end of the scale is world of tanks when golden ammo was only obtainable by cash and required to be viable.

and then everything else more or less is somewhere in the middle. where games that have similar/same looking revenue first party rmt/cash shop models at first glance can be at different places on the spectrum depending on how much the game is designed to push you into that. so say eve is probably closer to wow than gw2 is on this scale maybe, depending on your positions on each game in relation to the question.

boosters, exp pots, drop rate pots, and character boosts are all considerations for this question of where on the spectrum a game sits as well. because progression speed does matter. as doe the grindiness that pushes sales of those things within leveling progression. just as endgame progression speed, barriers to entry gating and power curves also factor - which for example why archeage is hella pay2win more than gw2 or eve despite having very similar revenue models as both.

but while cash shop contnets are a factor, the presense or lack there of doesn't affect wether a game is going to have pay2win present. just in what shape and form that pay2win will look like.

#2 AionTemplar

AionTemplar

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:05 PM

GameForge Tera is P2W compared to EnMasse Tera, so is GameForge Aion compared to NC Aion. Not paying players have restrictions on GameForge versions.

#3 hans_gruber

hans_gruber

the wrong shape

• Moderators
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:45 AM

it varies from game to game.

maybe all content is free and you can slowly eventually rng grind your way to the top of the gear pile in aion or tera in the us, but spending gobs of cash will get you there far faster while stilling being gamble heavy.

#4 Nobody

Nobody

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 792 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:19 AM

it's a thermometer (terameter?) with p2w on one side (the old perfect world games anyone?) and not p2w on the other side.

And I totally p2w'd the cosmetics competition in ffxiv with my dye-able maid outfit. Go me!

• hans_gruber likes this

flying.jpg

#5 hans_gruber

hans_gruber

the wrong shape

• Moderators
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:41 AM

ancient topic with us snoozle, but i figured you might like my latest write up on it as per relevancy to that article :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users